Simon Bredon Demographics:
- Birth - c. 1300 (Winchcombe, Gloucestershire)
- Death - 1372
- Nationality - English
- Occupation - Astronomer, Mathematician, Physician.
- Initially a member of Balliol, Oxford.
- Subsequently a member of the Merton School, Oxford.
- Elected a Fellow of Merton c. 1330 - ? 1342.
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Oxford.
- Worked on trigonometry.
- Wrote on the calculation of chords.
- Commentary on the Almagest.
- Left manuscripts & scientific instruments to several Oxford colleges.
- Bequest of the Oriel astrolabe (c. 1340) - now in Museum of the History of Science.
- William Rede and Simon Bredon made astronomical tables which for a time gave Oxford a status similar to that of the modern Greenwich Observatory.
Image Credit - Oxford almanac for 1344 - notes on square numbers written by Simon Bredon.
From Oxford Figures, Chapter 1: 800 years of mathematical traditions - page is maintained by Keith A. Gillow.
Posted by ALCHEssMIST.
Alchemipedia | Home | Index | AZ | Numbers | Years | Animals | Architecture | Art | Business | Fashion | Films | Food & Drink | Games | Health | History | Literature | Media | Music | People |Politics | Science | Sport | Technology | World |